Friday, November 1, 2013 - 5pm
Proof is Gallery 44’s annual exhibition of photo-based work by Canadian emerging artists reflecting a range of current concerns and practices in contemporary photography from across the country. Proof is often one of the first exhibitions in a professional context for an emerging artist as was the case for artists such as Karin Bubas, Janieta Eyre, Isabelle Hayeur, Germaine Koh, Nicholas Pye, Althea Thauberger, and Andrew Wright.
Gallery View- work by Mike Andrew Maclean, Elise Victoria Windsor, PROOF 18, 2011
Gallery 44 Centre for Contemporary Photography is a non-profit artist-run centre committed to photography as a multi-faceted and ever-changing art form. We encourage the submission of exhibition proposals from artists in the early stages of their careers for this annual group exhibition. Consistent with our overall programming objectives, this exhibition highlights the work of artists who are innovative in their use of the medium and approach to subject matter. PROOF is not intended to represent a particular theme but rather to reflect a range of current concerns and practices in contemporary Canadian photography.
Please submit the following materials (images as JPEGs, video as .mov and documents as PDFs) clearly labeled as a Proof 21 artist submission on a disk by mail or by email as a zipped folder to proof21[at]gallery44.org:
1. 10-12 images (both single image views and installation views) representing a recent body of work or a specific project. Image files should be JPEGs of 1MB maximum. Please do not send original work and do not use CD sticker labels.
2. An image list indicating artist name, title, dimensions in inches, medium, and year, as a PDF.
3. An artist's statement, curatorial statement, or other written description, as a PDF.
4. A physical description of the proposed exhibition, including the number of works, the space required, equipment needed and/or provided, and any unusual installation requirements as a PDF
5. A curriculum vitae, or biography and full contact information.
6. For mailed submissions, include a self-addressed envelope (SASE) with sufficient return postage. Without an SASE we will not return submission packages and will dispose of submission materials appropriately.
• Gallery 44 handles all material with care; but cannot accept responsibility for lost/damaged materials.
• Late submissions will not be accepted. Submissions must be postmarked by the deadline. Please clearly label your submission with the call for which you are applying.
• Due to the volume of submissions we receive please allow 4 to 6 months to receive a response.
• Artists are paid in accordance with the CARFAC Fee Schedule.
• Gallery 44 defines an emerging artist or curator as someone is the early stages of their career, regardless of age.
Direct inquiries to:
Head of Exhibitions and Publications