Call for Applicants
Head of Membership and Facilities | Permanent Position
In-Person, (30-35 hours per week / $37,500—$45,000 annually)
Benefits include: Health and Dental, Flex Time, 2 weeks vacation to start, plus additional paid vacation days during closure periods.
Gallery 44 is a long-standing, dynamic artist-run centre operating exhibition, education and production facilities in Toronto for over 40 years. We are seeking a highly motivated and collaborative individual to lead one of the gallery's key programming areas. The role requires a unique blend of technical and administrative skills, mentorship ability, ingenuity, and knowledge and care for Toronto's photographic community.
Gallery 44 supports a thriving community of artists committed to contemporary photography, and members play a crucial role in supporting our activities and advocating for our mission. Gallery 44’s membership program provides technical and conceptual support to artists in every stage of their career.
The Head of Membership and Facilities works closely with our members to maintain a professional photography studio/lab as well as programming exhibitions, community events, public outreach, and more.
CLOSING DATE: Applications close on Sunday, October 15, 2023 at 11:59 PM.
The successful applicant will begin working with the Gallery in November 2023.
The Head of Membership and Facilities develops and administers all production studio and membership related programming in consultation with the Membership and Facilities Committee (MFC) and the Executive Director.
Reports to: the Executive Director and works with the Board Representative of the MFC.
- Provide excellent customer service for G44 members.
- Chair the MFC, and work with them to review feedback and develop new member programs and events, equipment upgrades, membership retention strategies and other significant projects.
- Coordinate the jury and draw for the members exhibition spaces and work with selected members on upcoming shows.
- Coordinate ongoing member events like portfolio reviews and technical orientations.
- Deliver scheduled membership renewal notices annually and invoice members monthly for pay-per-use services.
- Send bi-weekly email newsletter to members.
- Collaborate with colleagues to promote membership and related programming.
- Have a comprehensive understanding of all equipment available for members including film and digital cameras, lighting kits, shooting studio, digital printing, scanners and a wet darkroom.
- Assess and oversee facilities upgrades, renovations and capital purchases and coordinate repairs, maintenance, cleaning and improvements.
- Perform scheduled safety checks and promote Health & Safety Guidelines.
- Oversee the independent contract position of Digital Printing Technician.
- Comprehensively understand Gallery 44’s policies and guidelines in regards to membership, recommend updates and revisions as needed.
- Maintain and provide necessary upgrades to all the G44 computers and network, and assist with maintenance and updates to the Gallery website.
- Assist all staff with front desk service for members and the public, sharing information about exhibitions, education and membership.
- With the staff, Board and assistance of the MFC, prepare and deliver assigned tasks on multi-year strategic plans.
- Collaborate with colleagues to coordinate and support exhibiting artists, artists-in residence and artist-instructor use of the facilities.
- Assist the Executive Director with revenue and expenses analysis, prepare data for grant reports, and contribute to special projects as needed.
Qualifications and Skills:
The ideal candidate will possess in-depth knowledge of contemporary photography and related analogue and digital practices; knowledge of artist-run centres, their history and unique position within the greater Canadian arts ecosystem; working knowledge of equity initiatives in practice; and will bring a positive attitude and collaborative spirit to the position.
The ideal candidate will also possess a combination of the following skills and interests:
- College or university graduate with a BFA or Advanced Diploma in Photography or equivalent experience.
- Practical experience with darkroom and digital photography processes, equipment and materials, and keeping technical knowledge up to date.
- Commitment to preserving traditional photography spaces and resources, and sharing that knowledge with new generation artists.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an interest in community development and mentorship.
- Organized, motivated and collaborative with strong initiative and work ethic.
- Interest and experience working with diverse stakeholder groups including artists, students, curators, arts administrators and volunteers.
How to Apply:
Upload the following documents in pdf format, via the submission link: gallery44.org/apply
- Resume (indicate related education and career experience)
- Letter of interest specific to this role at Gallery 44 (one page maximum)
- List of three references (letters of recommendation not required)
Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Access and Equity
G44 welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and strongly encourages applications from members of equity-seeking communities, such as Black and Indigenous people, people of colour, women, people who are d/Deaf or have a disability, racial minorities, the socio-economically disadvantaged, and 2SLGBTQIAP+ individuals. We will invite all those contacted for an interview to advise us of accommodations needed to ensure they have access to a fair and equitable process.
For more information:
Accessibility Policy https://tinyurl.com/G44-Accessibility
Equity Policy https://tinyurl.com/G44-Equity