Young Canada Works
Summer contract for a returning post-secondary student. Check eligibility here.
30 hours per week, including Saturdays and some evenings
10-week, fixed term contract
Wage: $18.00/hour + 4% vacation pay
June 1 – August 6, 2021
Gallery 44 is a dynamic space and artist-run centre led by a dedicated group of artists, curators, and educators. We are seeking a highly motivated individual to support two of the gallery's key programming areas.
The position of Membership and Education Assistant helps to implement Gallery 44's mission and vision by administering G44's education, outreach, and membership mandates and programs. This role collaborates with two management staff to oversee youth and adult educational programs, as well as ongoing membership activities and spaces, including galleries, production facilities and equipment. Specifically, the position will contribute to OUTREACH, G44's award-winning education program for underserved youth, and members' exhibition programming, as well as day-to-day gallery and studio operations.
The role offers a unique opportunity for an exceptional student to develop professionally in a collaborative work environment, alongside a supportive and engaged community of volunteers, staff and Board members.
We anticipate the position will run as a split work-from-home and in-office scenario. Working in response to pandemic restrictions, the role will pivot to strictly work-from-home if necessary.
Production and Membership
- Honing expertise on Gallery equipment and facilities to run individual orientations with new members.
- Assisting with future development of G44's membership activities, including conducting research for partnerships with similar photo-production organizations across Canada.
- Completing administrative work necessary for membership operations, including billing, volunteer coordination, communications, and database management
- Collaborating with volunteers of the Membership and Facilities Committee to plan and deliver the members’ exhibitions, including design and installation.
Education and Community Outreach
- Coordinating logistics in a timely manner, including updating the website, registering participants, liaising with artist-instructors, creating contracts, procuring materials, Zoom and/or darkroom and studio set-up, and collecting and synthesizing participant evaluations.
- Providing logistical support to the Curator of Education and Community Outreach, and together working to coordinate virtual workshops and the culminating exhibition and award ceremony for OUTREACH 2021. Tasks will include: procuring materials, creating kits for participants, liaising with community partners, assisting with coordination and management of online instruction platforms; updating program and exhibition webpage; attending the awards jury; coordinating the preparation of exhibition images.
- Leading the development of G44’s professional practices symposium for OUTREACH participants and youth. Tasks include researching workshops, reaching out to artist instructors, creating a plan for the execution of the event.
- Researching content and potential artist-instructors for seasonal workshops, identifying potential partners for future OUTREACH programs.
- Day-to-day operations, with a focus on front-of-house duties, including answering phones, troubleshooting and providing excellent service to members and gallery visitors.
- Maintaining cleanliness of gallery, studio and office with other staff, replenishing promotional material, monitoring exhibitions, and reporting any technical or installation-related issues to the Curator of Exhibitions and Public Programs.
Qualifications and Skills
- Currently pursuing post-secondary education in a related field (preference will be given to those studying studio arts with a focus in lens-based media; however, we will also consider current students in other artistic disciples, including arts management/administration or curatorial practice)
- Eager to learn skills related to managing complex projects from concept to production
- Organized, motivated and collaborative
- Possess some knowledge of contemporary photography and related practices
- Strong work ethic and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Good interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of analogue and digital photographic equipment and modes of production considered a strong asset
- Second language such as French considered an asset
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send the following information to email@example.com. Please include the name of the position in the email subject line.
All documents should be sent as a single pdf.
- Letter of interest (one page maximum)
- Two references
Gallery 44 is committed to equity and anti-racism in all aspects of its operations. G44 welcomes applications from all qualified candidates, and strongly encourages applications from members of equity-seeking communities, including Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour, persons with disabilities, and persons of equity-seeking sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions. Our commitment to employment equity is one step in a series of organizational initiatives that acknowledge the systemic exclusion of these groups from the Canadian art world and workforce, both currently and historically.